To Read or Not To Read: read it, read it, read it.
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare
5 / 5 Stars
I WAS STARING AT THIS WHILE I WAS IN CHINA. IT WAS WAITING FOR ME. I AM ADDICTED TO CASSANDRA CLARE BOOKS.
Read it if you like Shadowhunter/Cassandra Clare novels, monster hunters, forbidden love and stories about the importance of family.
I feel like reading books about forbidden love is like a guilty pleasure in YA right now and I would definitely complain about them if I always did but I limit that now. I also expect it from Cassie’s books. This is also book two in the series so go back and read Lady Midnight if you haven’t yet.
Why I liked it:
- Julian and Emma. With every Cassie book I love the main love interest. It’s always well written.
- Julian and his need to protect his family and how those intentions aren’t always pure, he will do dark things for his family. And how this book ends does not convince him of otherwise.
- Mark, Kieran and Cristina – I’m not going to say anymore on this one. But I like how everything comes together in their story arcs.
- The Clave being the Clave. They don’t change from the other books and it was a nice and awful throwback to how great they are at governing.
- Throwbacks to all the other characters.
I really am reading this for the characters. Cassie has this way of writing that makes you fall for and care for her characters. I’ve grown up with them at this point as I started reading them when City of Glass was the newest novel out. I do love Julian and Emma, I didn’t think I’d warm to them as much as I did and I’m definitely going to be sad when the trilogy ends.